Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Classroom Tip: Getting to Know and Use the Names of the Kids


In a previous blog post I talked about the games that I played with the teachers.

I avoided being called upon.

It was a game I was very good at…but I really needed to answer questions and go to the board to demonstrate my understanding.

Instead, I smiled…looked like I was paying attention, turned my work in on time and never got called to the board.

So…How can you make sure that a kid like me actually has to demonstrate understanding in the classroom?

Well…the first thing you need to do is to develop a way to know who you have called upon and who you haven’t.

For this I suggest using popsicle sticks.





If you took popsicle sticks and had the students put their names on them…you could have an easy device for calling upon the kids and keeping track of who you called upon.  

After the kids have placed their names on them, 


color code them if you have more than one class, 


...place them in your favorite mug and pull one out when you want a child to answer a question or come to the board. 


Cool! Easy way to know who you called upon! 

What other ways could you come up with for using these sticks? 

Think about it. 

A by-product of using the stick is that it helps to make the other kids pay attention because they could have been called upon. 

How about this…more collateral help…if you use a second cup…you could make sure that you went to that cup and re-pulled someone to make sure that they don’t visit another planet after having been called upon once.

This is a great way to start using and remembering the kids names as well as making sure that if you have a kid like me...he doesn't escape having to answer your questions or showing you what he knows.

Now go get some sticks!


I will write another post soon and show how you could use these sticks with a chart to help you remember how the kids answered and whether they demonstrated what you wanted them to.